Education is Freedom
Support for English
Ways in which you can support your child with English
- Please do try to spend 5-10 mins reading time with your child every day.
- You can help them to improve their understanding by discussing what they have read.
- Ask them questions about the text, their ideas about what could happen next or whether they are enjoying the book.
- Encourage them to tell you what stories and information they know.
- Discuss their opinions about how things might be different in stories or in the world.
Let them see you and join in with reading books, magazines, letters, instructions, charts, signs etc. Remember your child will like to hear you read to them as much as they like reading to you! If your child is a reluctant reader this can be even more important. Don’t force them to read, but read to them, or make it a game or challenge, takes turns. Read a comic or anything else they choose as long as they are reading and enjoying it then it is a skill they will carry into the future.
Research shows that teaching phonics in a structured way is the most effective way of learning to read. If you would like to find out more about phonics please talk to your child’s class teacher or look on the website Phonics information for parents